Re: [HACKERS] Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Use MINVALUE/MAXVALUE insteadof UNBOUNDED for range partition b

От Amit Langote
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Use MINVALUE/MAXVALUE insteadof UNBOUNDED for range partition b
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Use MINVALUE/MAXVALUE insteadof UNBOUNDED for range partition b  (Dean Rasheed <dean.a.rasheed@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi Dean,

On 2017/09/13 17:51, Dean Rasheed wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 9:58 AM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
>>> Did anything happen on this, or did we just forget it completely?
>>
>> I forgot it.  :-(
>>
>> I really think we should fix this.
>
> Ah, sorry. This was for me to follow up, and I dropped the ball.
>
> Here's a patch restoring the original error checks (actually not the
> same coding as used in previous versions of the patch, because that
> would have allowed a MINVALUE after a MAXVALUE and vice versa).
>
> A drawback to doing this is that we lose compatibility with syntaxes
> supported by other databases, which was part of the reason for
> choosing the terms MINVALUE and MAXVALUE in the first place.
>
> So thinking about this afresh, my preference would actually be to just
> canonicalise the values stored rather than erroring out.
>
> Thoughts?

Coincidentally, I just wrote the patch for canonicalizing stored values,
instead of erroring out.  Please see attached if that's what you were
thinking too.

Thanks,
Amit