Re: Upgrading from PostgreSQL 9.3 to 11.6

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Upgrading from PostgreSQL 9.3 to 11.6
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 12/20/19 5:58 AM, tony@exquisiteimages.com wrote:
> I have a PostgreSQL 9.3 installation that I finally have time to migrate
> to a currently supported version. The server that the installation is
> installed on is also at its end of service.
>
> Can anyone help me with completing this conversion as securely and
> efficiently as possible with the least amount of down time? Also, once
> it has been converted over, is there any best practice for ensuring that
> there has been no corruption?

The choices off the top of my head:

1) pg_dump/pg_restore using the 11.6 binaries of both.

2) Using pg_upgrade(www.postgresql.org/docs/11/pgupgrade.html) from 11.6.

3) Setting up Slony(http://www.slony.info/).

Downtime is hard to predict, especially if you have not done a procedure
before. The simplest would be the dump/restore.

I would go through the Release Notes for the first release of each major
version 9.4, 9.5, 9.6 and 11 to check out any behavior changes that
might trip you up. Given the number of versions you are stepping over
setting up a test instance of 11.6 to do the upgrade against would be a
good thing to do.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com