Re: Table AM Interface Enhancements

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Table AM Interface Enhancements
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 10, 2024 at 05:42:51PM +0400, Pavel Borisov wrote:
> Hi, Alexander!
> In my view, the actual list of what has raised discussion is:
> dd1f6b0c17 Provide a way block-level table AMs could re-use acquire_sample_rows
> ()
> 27bc1772fc Generalize relation analyze in table AM interface
>
> Proposals to revert the other patches in a wholesale way look to me like an
> ill-performed continuation of a discussion [1]. I can't believe that "Let's

For reference this disussion was:

    I don't dispute that we could do better, and this is just a
    simplistic look based on "number of commits per day", but the
    attached does put it in perspective to some extent.

> select which commits close to FF looks worse than the others" based on
> whereabouts, not patch contents is a good and productive way for the community
> to use.

I don't know how you can say these patches are being questioned just
because they are near the feature freeze (FF).  There are clear
concerns, and post-feature freeze is not the time to be evaluating which
patches which were pushed in near feature freeze need help.

What is the huge rush for these patches, and if they were so important,
why was this not done earlier?  This can all wait until PG 18.  If
Supabase or someone else needs these patches for PG 17, they will need
to create a patched verison of PG 17 with these patches.

> At the same time if Andres, who is the most experienced person in the scope of
> access methods is willing to give his post-commit re-review of any of the
> committed patches and will recommend some of them reverted, it would be a good
> sensible input to act accordingly.
> patch

So the patches were rushed, have problems, and now we are requiring
Andres to stop what he is doing to give immediate feedback --- that is
not fair to him.