Re: Introduce XID age and inactive timeout based replication slot invalidation

От Bertrand Drouvot
Тема Re: Introduce XID age and inactive timeout based replication slot invalidation
Дата
Re: Introduce XID age and inactive timeout based replication slot invalidation  (Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On Tue, Mar 12, 2024 at 05:51:43PM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2024 at 1:24 PM Bertrand Drouvot
> <bertranddrouvot.pg@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I believe the xmin and catalog_xmin of the sync slots on the standby
> > > keep advancing depending on the slots on the primary, no? If yes, the
> > > XID age based invalidation shouldn't be a problem.
> > >
> > > I believe there are no walsenders started for the sync slots on the
> > > standbys, right? If yes, the inactive timeout based invalidation also
> > > shouldn't be a problem. Because, the inactive timeouts for a slot are
> > > tracked only for walsenders because they are the ones that typically
> > > hold replication slots for longer durations and for real replication
> > > use. We did a similar thing in a recent commit [1].
> > >
> > > Is my understanding right? Do you still see any problems with it?
> >
> > Would that make sense to "simply" discard/prevent those kind of invalidations
> > for "synced" slot on standby? I mean, do they make sense given the fact that
> > those slots are not usable until the standby is promoted?
> >

> AFAIR, we don't prevent similar invalidations due to
> 'max_slot_wal_keep_size' for sync slots,

Right, we'd invalidate them on the standby should the standby sync slot restart_lsn
exceeds the limit.

> so why to prevent it for
> these new parameters? This will unnecessarily create inconsistency in
> the invalidation behavior.

Yeah, but I think wal removal has a direct impact on the slot usuability which
is probably not the case with the new XID and Timeout ones. That's why I thought
about handling them differently (but I'm also fine if that's not the case).

Regards,

--
Bertrand Drouvot
PostgreSQL Contributors Team