Re: Reports on obsolete Postgres versions

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Reports on obsolete Postgres versions
Дата
Re: Reports on obsolete Postgres versions  (Michael Banck <mbanck@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Mar 11, 2024 at 04:12:04PM -0500, Nathan Bossart wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2024 at 04:37:49PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >     https://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/
> >
> > This web page should correct the idea that "upgrades are more risky than
> > staying with existing versions".  Is there more we can do?  Should we
> > have a more consistent response for such reporters?
>
> I've read that the use of the term "minor release" can be confusing.  While
> the versioning page clearly describes what is eligible for a minor release,
> not everyone reads it, so I suspect that many folks think there are new
> features, etc. in minor releases.  I think a "minor release" of Postgres is
> more similar to what other projects would call a "patch version."

Well, we do say:

    While upgrading will always contain some level of risk, PostgreSQL
    minor releases fix only frequently-encountered bugs, security issues,
    and data corruption problems to reduce the risk associated with
    upgrading. For minor releases, the community considers not upgrading to
    be riskier than upgrading.

but that is far down the page.  Do we need to improve this?