Lessons from using mmap()

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Lessons from using mmap()
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
This blog, and the blogs it links to, explains the complexities of using
mmap() for database data/index file I/O.

    https://www.symas.com/post/are-you-sure-you-want-to-use-mmap-in-your-dbms

The blog starts by stating:

    There are, however, severe correctness and performance issues
    with mmap that are not immediately apparent. Such problems make it
    difficult, if not impossible, to use mmap correctly and efficiently
    in a modern DBMS.

The remainder of the article makes various arguments that such mmap use
is _possible_, but ends with a reasonable conclusion:

    Ultimately, the answer to the question "are you sure you want
    to use mmap in your DBMS?" should be rephrased - do you really
    want to reimplement everything the OS already does for you? Do
    you really believe you can do it correctly, better than the OS
    already does? The DBMS world is littered with projects whose
    authors believed, incorrectly, that they could.

I think we have come to the same conclusion in the past, but I thought
it would be good to share someone else's research, and it might be
helpful if we ever revisit this idea.

Сообщение: Re: Injection points: some tools to wait and wake
Сообщение: Re: Injection points: some tools to wait and wake