Re: Set log_lock_waits=on by default

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: Set log_lock_waits=on by default
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

* Laurenz Albe (laurenz.albe@cybertec.at) wrote:
> > Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart@gmail.com> writes:
> > > It looks like there are two ideas:
> > > [...]
> > > * Set log_lock_waits on by default.  The folks on this thread seem to
> > >   support this idea, but given the lively discussion for enabling
> > >   log_checkpoints by default [0], I'm hesitant to commit something like
> > >   this without further community discussion.
> >
> > I was, and remain, of the opinion that that was a bad idea that
> > we'll eventually revert, just like we previously got rid of most
> > inessential log chatter in the default configuration.  So I doubt
> > you'll have much trouble guessing my opinion of this one.  I think
> > the default logging configuration should be chosen with the
> > understanding that nobody ever looks at the logs of most
> > installations, and we should be more worried about their disk space
> > consumption than anything else.  Admittedly, log_lock_waits is less
> > bad than log_checkpoints, because no such events will occur in a
> > well-tuned configuration ... but still, it's going to be useless
> > chatter in the average installation.
>
> Unsurprisingly, I want to argue against that.

I tend to agree with this position- log_checkpoints being on has been a
recommended configuration for a very long time and is valuable
information to have about what's been happening when someone does go and
look at the log.

Having log_lock_waits on by default is likely to be less noisy and even
more useful for going back in time to figure out what happened.

> You say that it is less bad than "log_checkpoints = on", and I agree.
> I can't remember seeing any complaints by users about
> "log_checkpoints", and I predict that the complaints about
> "log_lock_waits = on" will be about as loud.

Yeah, agreed.

> I am all for avoiding useless chatter in the log.  In my personal
> experience, that is usually "database typo does not exist" and
> constraint violation errors.  I always recommend people to enable
> "log_lock_waits", and so far I have not seen it spam the logs.

I really wish we could separate out the messages about typos and
constraint violations from these logs about processes waiting a long
time for locks or about checkpoints or even PANIC's or other really
important messages.  That said, that's a different problem and not
something this change needs to concern itself with.

As for if we want to separate out log_lock_waits from deadlock_timeout-
no, I don't think we do, for the reasons that Tom mentioned.  I don't
see it as necessary either for enabling log_lock_waits by default.
Waiting deadlock_timeout amount of time for a lock certainly is a
problem already and once we've waited that amount of time, I can't see
the time spent logging about it as being a serious issue.

+1 for simply enabling log_lock_waits by default.

All that said ... if we did come up with a nice way to separate out the
timing for deadlock_timeout and log_lock_waits, I wouldn't necessarily
be against it.  Perhaps one approach to that would be to set just one
timer but have it be the lower of the two, and then set another when
that fires (if there's more waiting to do) and then catch it when it
happens...  Again, I'd view this as some independent improvement though
and not a requirement for just enabling log_lock_waits by default.

Thanks,

Stephen

Вложения