Re: Show WAL write and fsync stats in pg_stat_io

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: Show WAL write and fsync stats in pg_stat_io
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Dec 26, 2023 at 03:35:52PM +0300, Nazir Bilal Yavuz wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Dec 2023 at 13:10, Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
>> I am not sure while the whole point of the exercise is to have all the
>> I/O related data in a single view.  Something that I've also found a
>> bit disturbing yesterday while looking at your patch is the fact that
>> the operation size is guessed from the context and object type when
>> querying the view because now everything is tied to BLCKSZ.  This
>> patch extends it with two more operation sizes, and there are even
>> cases where it may be a variable.  Could it be a better option to
>> extend pgstat_count_io_op_time() so as callers can themselves give the
>> size of the operation?
>
> Do you mean removing the op_bytes column and tracking the number of
> bytes in reads, writes, and extends? If so, that makes sense to me but
> I don't want to remove the number of operations; I believe that has a
> value too. We can extend the pgstat_count_io_op_time() so it can both
> track the number of bytes and the number of operations.

Apologies if my previous wording sounded confusing.  The idea I had in
mind was to keep op_bytes in pg_stat_io, and extend it so as a value
of NULL (or 0, or -1) is a synonym as "writes", "extends" and "reads"
as a number of bytes.

> Also, it is not directly related to this patch but vectored IO [1] is
> coming soon; so the number of operations could be wrong since vectored
> IO could merge a couple of operations.

Hmm.  I have not checked this patch series so I cannot say for sure,
but we'd likely just want to track the number of bytes if a single
operation has a non-equal size rather than registering in pg_stat_io N
rows with different op_bytes, no?  I am looping in Thomas Munro in CC
for comments.

>> The whole patch is kind of itself complicated enough, so I'd be OK to
>> discard the case of the WAL receiver for now.  Now, if we do so, the
>> code stack of pgstat_io.c should handle WAL receivers as something
>> entirely disabled until all the known issues are solved.  There is
>> still a lot of value in tracking WAL data associated to the WAL
>> writer, normal backends and WAL senders.
>
> Why can't we add comments and leave it as it is? Is it because this
> could cause misunderstandings?
>
> If we want to entirely disable it, we can add
>
> if (MyBackendType == B_WAL_RECEIVER && io_object == IOOBJECT_WAL)
>     return;
>
> to the top of the pgstat_count_io_op_time() since all IOOBJECT_WAL
> calls are done by this function, then we can disable it at
> pgstat_tracks_io_bktype().

Yeah, a limitation like that may be acceptable for now.  Tracking the
WAL writer and WAL sender activities can be relevant in a lot of cases
even if we don't have the full picture for the WAL receiver yet.
--
Michael

Вложения