Re: [HACKERS] Changing references of password encryption to hashing

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Changing references of password encryption to hashing
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 28, 2023 at 10:01:57AM -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 28, 2023 at 9:55 AM Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> > I do think we should use the correct terminology in our documentation
> > and would support your working on improving things in this area.
>
> +1.

Attached is a draft patch to use the term "hash" instead of "encrypt"
for password storage.  I was not able to use Michael Paquier's version
from 2017 because the code has changed too much.

I did _not_ change the user API, so CREATE/ALTER ROLE still uses
[ENCRYPTED] PASSWORD, the GUC is still called password_encryption, and
the libpq function is still called PQencryptPasswordConn().  This makes
the user interface confusing since the API uses "encryption" but the
text calls it "hashing".  Is there support for renaming the API to use
"hash" and keeping "encrypt" for backward compatiblity.

Вложения