Re: pgbench in wrong package?

От Christoph Berg
Тема Re: pgbench in wrong package?
Дата
Список pgsql-pkg-debian
Re: Peter Eisentraut
> pgbench is in the postgresql-client-common package [0], but the actual
> per-version binaries are in the server package, e.g., postgresql-16 [1].  If
> you try to call pgbench without installing the server package, it tells you
>
> Error: You must install at least one postgresql-client-<version> package
>
> but that is wrong advice in this situation.
>
> Is there are reason for this arrangement?

Mostly a historical mistake that has been difficult to fix because of
the update-alternatives trees for the manpages, where moving "slave"
links from one tree to another is quite hard. I think it's possible to
revisit that now that the client and server manpage trees have been
merged.

> (The same confusion applies to vacuumlo.)

Ack.

Christoph