Re: BUG #15172: Postgresql ts_headline with <-> operator does not highlight text properly

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: BUG #15172: Postgresql ts_headline with <-> operator does not highlight text properly
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Sun, Oct 29, 2023 at 01:20:11AM +0400, Pavel Borisov wrote:
> Hi, Bruce and Tom!
> I think that the ts_headline main functionality is to make Postgres
> more friendly to search-engine-like approach, which I feel is too
> niche usage scenario for supporting it as a part of core code. If
> remember right, bug reports coming from the users supposing it has
> more strict semantics than it has in reality are regular. And I also
> remember myself being puzzled by unusual output in the past.
>
> If we fiddle with other parameters of ts_headline we can easily have
> other kinds of output that seem counterintuitive e.g.:
> SELECT ts_headline('English',

I just posted a proposed doc patch which should help reduce the number
of people surprised by the highlighting.  Let's see if that helps.

FYI, here is a Stack Overflow post from 2021 linking to the original
email that started this thread from 2018:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/69512416/is-ts-headline-intended-to-highlight-non-matching-parts-of-the-query-which-it

Сообщение: Re: BUG #15172: Postgresql ts_headline with <-> operator does not highlight text properly
Сообщение: Re: BUG #15172: Postgresql ts_headline with <-> operator does not highlight text properly