Re: Improvement of clarity in pg_ctl command docummentation

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: Improvement of clarity in pg_ctl command docummentation
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Sat, Jul 15, 2023 at 05:57:40AM +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:
> I was reading the documentation about pg_ctl and there everything was well
> written about the usage and option that can be used with the pg_ctl command
> but there is not mentioned that we can not run pg_ctl command as root and
> why we cant run it as root.

Yes, I guess that you are right in the fact that we don't document
pg_ctl cannot be run as root.  The short explanation behind this
restriction is that the PostgreSQL backend is considered as having the
same rights as the OS user running it, and we don't want to encourage
unsecure behaviors where systems could be easily compromised.
--
Michael

Вложения