Re: Partial aggregates pushdown

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Partial aggregates pushdown
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 20, 2023 at 09:59:11AM +0300, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
> > Therefore, it seems like it would be near-zero cost to just call conn =
> > GetConnection() and then PQserverVersion(conn), and ReleaseConnection().
> > You can then use the return value of PQserverVersion() to determine if
> > you can push down partial aggregates.
>
> Hi.
> Currently we don't get remote connection while planning if
> use_remote_estimate is not set.
> Such change would require to get remote connection in planner, not in
> executor.
> This can lead to change of behavior (like errors in explain when user
> mapping is wrong - e.g. bad password is specified).
> Also this potentially can lead to establishing connections even when plan
> node is not actually used
> (like extreme example - select sum(score) from t limit 0).
> I'm not saying we shouldn't do it - just hint at possible consequences.

Agreed.  I noticed it was doing FDW connections during optimization, but
didn't see the postgres_fdw option that would turn it off.
Interestingly, it is disabled by default.

After considering the options, I think we should have a postgres_fdw
option called "planner_version_check", and default that false.  When
false, a remote server version check will not be performed during
planning and partial aggregates will be always be considered.  When
true, a version check will be performed during planning and partial
aggregate pushdown disabled for pre-PG 17 foreign servers during the
query.

If we want to be more specific, we can call it
"check_partial_aggregate_support".