Re: Progress report of CREATE INDEX for nested partitioned tables

От Justin Pryzby
Тема Re: Progress report of CREATE INDEX for nested partitioned tables
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Mar 25, 2023 at 03:43:32PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> I pushed 0001 with some cosmetic changes (for instance, trying to
> make the style of the doc entries for partitions_total/partitions_done
> match the rest of their table).

Thanks.

> I'm not touching 0002 or 0003, because I think they're fundamentally
> a bad idea.  Progress reporting is inherently inexact, because it's

Nobody could disagree that it's inexact.  The assertions are for minimal
sanity tests and consistency.  Like if "total" is set multiple times (as
in this patch), or if a progress value goes backwards.  Anyway the
assertions exposed two other issues that would need to be fixed before
the assertions themselves could be proposed.

--
Justin