Re: Incremental backup

От Peter J. Holzer
Тема Re: Incremental backup
Дата
Re: Incremental backup  (Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On 2021-10-29 09:03:04 -0400, Mladen Gogala wrote:
> On 10/29/21 08:49, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
> > I don't think that's equivalent. An Oracle instance is a runtime concept
> > (the collection of server processes on a single machine serving a single
> > database (the collection of files on the disk)) whereas a PostgreSQL cluster is
> > both a data and a runtime concept (config + data files for several
> > databases with some shared data + the processes serving them). Also
> > instance:database is n:1 while cluster to database is 1:n. Very
> > different.
>
> Peter, Oracle instance manages collection of the databases and is ensuring
> recoverabilty using redo logs, which are completely analogous to WAL logs,
> if managed a bit differently. Let's not be nitpicking here. Oracle instance
> is completely analogous to Postgres cluster. If you ask me, the word cluster
> was picked to avoid the word "instance"

I'm quoting Tom Kyte here:

| In fact, it is true to say that an instance will mount and open at
| most a single database in its entire lifetime!

While that article is originally from 2009, it was last changed in 2021,
and I'd trust Tom to change something as fundamental if it wasn't true
anymore.

        hp

Вложения

От: negora
Сообщение: Re: DBeaver does not show all tables in a Schema
Сообщение: Re: DBeaver does not show all tables in a Schema