Re: Always bump PG_CONTROL_VERSION?

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: Always bump PG_CONTROL_VERSION?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 03:47:01PM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> There's several types of tools (particularly around backup) that need to
> parse control files. Unnecessarily increasing the numbers of versions
> that need to be dealt with makes that a bit harder.

I am digressing here, sorry for that..

But it is worth noting that it is fun to debug issues where a user
changes the system locale and breaks some logic that parses the output
of pg_controldata because of the translations of the text fields.
I've really wondered over the years whether there should be more
switches to pick up only the field values, for the popular ones like
TLIs for example.  pg_config does that.
--
Michael

Вложения