Re: [HACKERS] Installation procedure wishes

От Dmitry Samersoff
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Installation procedure wishes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 17-Jun-99 Tom Lane wrote:
> Dmitry Samersoff <dms@wplus.net> writes:
>> 1. My standard way to install pgsql:
>>   make
>>   su
>>   useradd postgres
>> ****
>>   mkdir ~postgres
>>   make install
>>   chown -R postgres ~postgres
>
>> Is it possible to include last three commands into installation procedure?

I wrote this letter because last month I had to install/upgrade
postgress over 20 times. All this questions is not significant for
single instalation, but prove a task if I need installing postgres
every day.

> If you followed the installation instructions (ie, run "make install" as
> the postgres user), you wouldn't need the chown step.  The reason that
> making the toplevel installation directory isn't part of what "make
> install" does is that it's typically located somewhere that requires
> root permission to make the directory --- but you only need to do that ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes! IMHO, If root privilege required (in most case) at least once,
it would be nice to make top-level directory and all other
by install.

(It's step back to discussion fired some monthes ago)

> once, it doesn't have to be done over each time you reinstall.
>
>> 2. The most often PGDATA is ~postgres/data
>>               and PGLIB  is ~postgres/lib
>> Is it possible to use this as default if environment not set?
>
> Not ~postgres necessarily, but whatever the --prefix set by configure
> is.  I kinda thought these defaults were compiled in already?  If not,
> they probably should be.

AFAIK, It's not compiled already in current 6.5.
Other side, using home directory of user "postgres" provide a simple and
standard way to control postgres data and lib locations.

>> 3. Next step is adding plpgsql into database template1 (or patching creatdb
>> script) to add plpgsql every time as I create new db
>
> That's a one-command thing now, so I'm not seeing why it's harder to issue
> the command than type a configure option ...

I still need remember to run this command for template1 or do it every time
when I creating db.

Configure options allow me to add it to internal-used build script
and don\'t keep it in mind.

---
Dmitry Samersoff, dms@wplus.net, ICQ:3161705
http://devnull.wplus.net
* There will come soft rains ...

От: Vadim Mikheev
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Re: Apparent bug in _make_subplan
От: wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Installation procedure wishes