Re: CHECK Constraint Deferrable

От Andreas Joseph Krogh
Тема Re: CHECK Constraint Deferrable
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
På fredag 07. juli 2023 kl. 13:50:44, skrev Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com>:
On Wed, Jul 5, 2023 at 3:08 PM Himanshu Upadhyaya
<upadhyaya.himanshu@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Currently, there is no support for CHECK constraint DEFERRABLE in a create table statement.
> SQL standard specifies that CHECK constraint can be defined as DEFERRABLE.

I think this is a valid argument that this is part of SQL standard so
it would be good addition to PostgreSQL.  So +1 for the feature.

But I am wondering whether there are some real-world use cases for
deferred CHECK/NOT NULL constraints?  I mean like for foreign key
constraints if there is a cyclic dependency between two tables then
deferring the constraint is the simplest way to insert without error.

The real-world use case, at least for me, is when using an ORM. For large object-graphs ORMs have a tendency to INSERT first with NULLs then UPDATE the “NOT NULLs” later.

“Rewrite the ORM” is not an option for most of us…

--

Andreas Joseph Krogh