RE: speed up a logical replica setup

От Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)
Тема RE: speed up a logical replica setup
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Dear Shubham,

Thanks for testing the patch!

> I tried verifying few scenarios by using 5 databases and came across
> the following errors:
>
> ./pg_createsubscriber -D ../new_standby -P "host=localhost port=5432
> dbname=postgres" -S "host=localhost port=9000 dbname=postgres"  -d db1
> -d db2 -d db3 -d db4 -d db5
>
> pg_createsubscriber: error: publisher requires 6 wal sender
> processes, but only 5 remain
> pg_createsubscriber: hint: Consider increasing max_wal_senders to at least 7.
>
> It is successful only with 7 wal senders, so we can change error
> messages accordingly.
>

> pg_createsubscriber: error: publisher requires 6 replication slots,
> but only 5 remain
> pg_createsubscriber: hint: Consider increasing max_replication_slots
> to at least 7.
>
> It is successful only with 7 replication slots, so we can change error
> messages accordingly.

I'm not a original author but I don't think it is needed. The hint message has
already suggested you to change to 7. According to the doc [1],  the primary
message should be factual and hint message should be used for suggestions. I felt
current code followed the style. Thought?

New patch is available in [2].

[1]: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/error-style-guide.html
[2]:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/TYCPR01MB12077A6BB424A025F04A8243DF54F2%40TYCPR01MB12077.jpnprd01.prod.outlook.com