RE: Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers, take 2

От tsunakawa.takay@fujitsu.com
Тема RE: Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers, take 2
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com>
> I think the discussion is based the behavior that any process that is
> responsible for finishing the 2pc-commit continue retrying remote
> commits until all of the remote-commits succeed.

Thank you for coming back.  We're talking about the first attempt to prepare and commit in each transaction, not the
retrycase.

> > Throws: HeuristicMixedException
> > Thrown to indicate that a heuristic decision was made and that some
> relevant updates have been
> > committed while others have been rolled back.

> I'm not sure about how JTA works in detail, but doesn't
> UserTransaction.commit() return HeuristicMixedExcpetion when some of
> relevant updates have been committed but other not? Isn't it the same
> state with the case where some of the remote servers failed on
> remote-commit while others are succeeded?

No.  Taking the description literally and considering the relevant XA specification, it's not about the remote commit
failure. The remote server is not allowed to fail the commit once it has reported successful prepare, which is the
contractof 2PC.  HeuristicMixedException is about the manual resolution, typically by the DBA, using the DBMS-specific
toolor the standard commit()/rollback() API.

> (I guess that
> UserTransaction.commit() would throw RollbackException if
> remote-prepare has been failed for any of the remotes.)

Correct.

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa