RE: Make COPY format extendable: Extract COPY TO format implementations

От Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)
Тема RE: Make COPY format extendable: Extract COPY TO format implementations
Дата
Re: Make COPY format extendable: Extract COPY TO format implementations  (Sutou Kouhei <kou@clear-code.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Dear Junagn, Sutou-san,

Basically I agree your point - improving a extendibility is good.
(I remember that this theme was talked at Japan PostgreSQL conference)
Below are my comments for your patch.

01. General

Just to confirm - is it OK to partially implement APIs? E.g., only COPY TO is
available. Currently it seems not to consider a case which is not implemented.

02. General

It might be trivial, but could you please clarify how users can extend? Is it OK
to do below steps?

1. Create a handler function, via CREATE FUNCTION,
2. Register a handler, via new SQL (CREATE COPY HANDLER),
3. Specify the added handler as COPY ... FORMAT clause.

03. General

Could you please add document-related tasks to your TODO? I imagined like
fdwhandler.sgml.

04. General - copyright

For newly added files, the below copyright seems sufficient. See applyparallelworker.c.

```
 * Copyright (c) 2023, PostgreSQL Global Development Group
```

05. src/include/catalog/* files

IIUC, 8000 or higher OIDs should be used while developing a patch. src/include/catalog/unused_oids
would suggest a candidate which you can use.

06. copy.c

I felt that we can create files per copying methods, like copy_{text|csv|binary}.c,
like indexes.
How do other think?

07. fmt_to_name()

I'm not sure the function is really needed. Can we follow like get_foreign_data_wrapper_oid()
and remove the funciton?

08. GetCopyRoutineByName()

Should we use syscache for searching a catalog?

09. CopyToFormatTextSendEndOfRow(), CopyToFormatBinaryStart()

Comments still refer CopyHandlerOps, whereas it was renamed.

10. copy.h

Per foreign.h and fdwapi.h, should we add a new header file and move some APIs?

11. copy.h

```
-/* These are private in commands/copy[from|to].c */
-typedef struct CopyFromStateData *CopyFromState;
-typedef struct CopyToStateData *CopyToState;
```

Are above changes really needed?

12. CopyFormatOptions

Can we remove `bool binary` in future?

13. external functions

```
+extern void CopyToFormatTextStart(CopyToState cstate, TupleDesc tupDesc);
+extern void CopyToFormatTextOneRow(CopyToState cstate, TupleTableSlot *slot);
+extern void CopyToFormatTextEnd(CopyToState cstate);
+extern void CopyFromFormatTextStart(CopyFromState cstate, TupleDesc tupDesc);
+extern bool CopyFromFormatTextNext(CopyFromState cstate, ExprContext *econtext,
+
Datum *values, bool *nulls);
+extern void CopyFromFormatTextErrorCallback(CopyFromState cstate);
+
+extern void CopyToFormatBinaryStart(CopyToState cstate, TupleDesc tupDesc);
+extern void CopyToFormatBinaryOneRow(CopyToState cstate, TupleTableSlot *slot);
+extern void CopyToFormatBinaryEnd(CopyToState cstate);
+extern void CopyFromFormatBinaryStart(CopyFromState cstate, TupleDesc tupDesc);
+extern bool CopyFromFormatBinaryNext(CopyFromState cstate,
ExprContext *econtext,
+
  Datum *values, bool *nulls);
+extern void CopyFromFormatBinaryErrorCallback(CopyFromState cstate);
```

FYI - If you add files for {text|csv|binary}, these declarations can be removed.

Best Regards,
Hayato Kuroda
FUJITSU LIMITED