Re: [GENERAL] Performance

От Dustin Sallings
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Performance
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

#     Anyway, regardless...for the price of that one Sparc E450 we
# picked up, I could pick up *easily* a dozen Dual-PII 450 servers, and
# run something like Beowulf on it to do the raytracing...
#
#     Wait, isn't that what IBM just did?  Built a Beowulf cluster of
# Netfnity servers for ~$150k, that outperformed a $5.5Million Cray?  And,
# I *thought* they did something like raytracing with it...I can't
# remmeber the full article, but it was ... enlightening.  If you want me
# to dig aruond and find the URL to it, please ask...

    As soon as postgres becomes a distributed database, the above will
become relevant.  For now, you need to build it all into a single box with
a lot of I/O and a decent amount of CPU and RAM.  Each of my 336Mhz
Ultra-SPARC processors has 4MB of CPU cache and 1GB of RAM.  I currently
only have four processors in each box, but they'll hold 14.  We didn't buy
them for this, though, we bought them for I/O.

--
SA, beyond.com           My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>