Re: Incremental backup

От Curt Sampson
Тема Re: Incremental backup
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 15 Feb 2003, Tom Lane wrote:

> Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net> writes:
> > ... But there's really no need for all fifty of those,
> > if you don't mind not being able to restore to any time before the
> > current time.
>
> Which, of course, is exactly the point of PITR designs.
>
> When you know that your assistant trainee DBA deleted most of your
> database with a mistyped command last Tuesday evening around 8pm,
> it is cold comfort to know that your database has faithfully preserved
> his committed changes.  You want to get back to where you were Tuesday
> afternoon, or preferably Tuesday evening 7:59pm.  This is what PITR
> setups can do for you.
>
> If you don't feel you need PITR capability, fine ... but don't tell
> the people who want it that they have no need for it.

Hey, I never said you *have* to do this compression!

I envisioned it as an option. I'd like, for example, to be able to aim a
program that the last eight weeks worth of log files and say, "compress
the first seven weeks of this, but leave the last week fully intact."
Then I can save some space (quite a lot, if my updates have certain
characteristics), and yet still get back to Tuesday evening at 7:59 p.m.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.netbsd.org   Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're
alllight.  --XTC