Re: Slony for upgrades

От Jeff Frost
Тема Re: Slony for upgrades
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Mon, 15 Oct 2007, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Seems we didn't have any mention of Slony for upgrades in the migration
> section, so I added it:
>
>  <para>
>   It is also possible to use <productname>Slony</> to create a slave
>   server with the updated version of <productname>PostgreSQL</>.  The
>   slave can be on the same computer or a different computer.  Once it
>   has synced up with the master server (running the older version of
>   <productname>PostgreSQL</>), you can switch masters and make the slave
>   the master and shut down the older database instance.  Such a
>   switch-over results in only several minutes of downtime for an upgrade.
>  </para>

Bruce, do you think we should say several minutes of downtime?  It's been my
experience that the downtime is usually measurable in seconds.  I don't think
I've ever had a switchover take more than 1 minute.

Excellent catch and good work by the way!

--
Jeff Frost, Owner     <jeff@frostconsultingllc.com>
Frost Consulting, LLC     http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/