Re: integer ceiling in LIMIT and OFFSET

От Jon Jensen
Тема Re: integer ceiling in LIMIT and OFFSET
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, scott.marlowe wrote:

> > > That said, perhaps the TODO for changing LIMIT / OFFSET to be expression
> > > based should also mention bumping them to int8.
> >
> > Can't get excited about it ... this would slow down the normal use of
> > the facility for what seems a completely hypothetical need.
>
> While I'm pretty sure
>
> select * from sometable limit 2147483648
>
> isn't gonna be common, maybe someone would be likely to do something like:
>
> select * from sometable limit 10 offset 2147483648
>
> I wouldn't do it, but who knows what shadows lurk in men's minds?

Yeah, the thing is that it may never enter "men's minds" -- an application
would be written that grabs, say, 10 rows at random from the whole table,
and ends up plugging in big numbers as in your example. Rarely do people
think ahead to what happens when the tables get really big.

Of course I don't imagine it'll be common either. :)

Jon