Re: COPY syntax improvement

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: COPY syntax improvement
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian writes:

> I thought there were complaints that the old COPY syntax just had too
> many features stuffed in too many unusual places,

Haven't ever seen one.  This command has no precedent in other products,
only years of going virtually unchanged in PostgreSQL.  Changing it now
and allowing countless permutations of the key words is going to be
confusing, IMHO.

> e.g. delimiter after
> filename,

COPY is the only command to use a delimiter, so this can hardly be
qualified as an "unusual" place.

> oids after tablename,

That's because the OIDs are in said table.

> binary after COPY,

Which is consistent with DECLARE BINARY CURSOR.

> NULL after delimiter.

OK, that order should perhaps be more flexible.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net