Re: Direct XML interfaces to optimizer and even executor?

От alex@pilosoft.com
Тема Re: Direct XML interfaces to optimizer and even executor?
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
On Thu, 30 May 2002, Gunther Schadow wrote:

> - Sending a parse tree in XML for processing by the optimizer.
>     This circumvents the SQL language and avoids the kinds of
>     syntactic ideosyncrasies of SQL (e.g., where you put commas.)
>     This is fairly trivial, but of course the question is, would
>     it be worth it?
_WHY_?  Instead of replacing SQL, learn SQL good enough so you won't need
to. ;)

> - Sending an execution plan in XML directly to the executor.
>     This now circumvents the SQL parser and optimizer. I know this
>     is in a way against the relational doxology and I don't take that
>     light-heartedly. However, isn't it true that most optimizers
>     cannot deal very well with more than 6 joins? I may be wrong,
>     but I find myself spending quite a bit of time fighting with the
>     Oracle or PostgreSQL optimizer to convince it to choose the plan
>     that I want. There is so much magic to it with hints and the
>     way you write SQL (where in relational theory the expressions are
>     equivalent, they make huge difference in what plan is being
>     generated.) So, it appears to me almost easier to just send a
>     plan directly and have the system execute that plan.
_WHY_? Instead of replacing optimizer, either fix it so magic/hints are
not needed or learn to write better queries ;)

PS: In my experience, optimizer is performing nearly-perfectly, given
regular vacuum analyz'ing.

-alex

От: Gunther Schadow
Сообщение: Direct XML interfaces to optimizer and even executor?
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Direct XML interfaces to optimizer and even executor?