Re: Welcom & a problem

От scott.marlowe
Тема Re: Welcom & a problem
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Egyud Csaba wrote:

> > Yes, I think it showed up in 7.1.x.   You should really upgrade to 7.2.3
> > or wait a week or two and try migrating to 7.3.  They are both MUCH faster
> > than 7.0 was.
> OK, I see. What do you think, is it a dificult job or not?
> As far as I can imagine it I will have to dump all data from the db,
> uninstall 7.0, install the 7.2 or 7.3 and then restore the whole db.
> Certainly I will have to recreate the users and the grants.
> Which is the most painless way. Perhaps exists a patch, which doesn't need
> to reinstall the whole stuff.
> Or where can I get an upgrade manual which explains the migration process
> step by step?

The user accounts (in the database) and grants and all should migrate
smoothly.  for instructions on upgrading have a look here:

http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?install-upgrading.html

I recommend doing a "practice upgrade" on a test machine first, just to
make sure everything works ok.  If you don't have you unix boxes running
under something like NIS where all the accounts are shared, then you
might want to create the Unix system user accounts on the test box first,
then it should work ok.