Re: [GENERAL] Large database

От Ole Gjerde
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Large database
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Graham Daley wrote:
> I'm considering using Postgresql for an application which could very
> likely require a database to grow up to about 1TB in size.
> 1. Is this possible with Postresql on Linux?

If you run linux on SPARC, Alpha, SGI or any other 64 bit platform, it
should be possible(Or have a 64 bit filesystem on intel, but that doesn't
exist yet).

> 2. Is it possible for database tables to span files on more than one disk
>    partition? I'm aware that it splits files into 2GB chunks
>    automatically, but is it possible for these files to reside on more
>    than one partition?

Easiest way to do this would be to put all your drives in a RAID.. Either
just striping or RAID 5 if you need the redundancy(probably).

> 3. What's the biggest known database currently running on Postgresql?

No clue..  The biggest one I'm running right now is about 5GB which isn't
all that much..  I'm sure there are much bigger ones out there..

Ole Gjerde