Re: OID rollover?

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: OID rollover?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sun, 9 Apr 2000, Charles Martin wrote:

> What happens to my database when the OID rolls over?

A simple-minded calculation yields that you would have to create about 1
million new (not updated) records every day for more than 10 years to
exhaust the oid space. By the time that becomes a problem we'll all have
64 bit machines in anticipation of Y2038 anyway.

> If the answer is "doom", is there anything I can do about it?

Dump and reload your database. Unless you are actually *using* all of them
(in which case you'd need more than 100 GB to simply store the tuple
control structures), then "doom" is a feature. :)