Re: [HACKERS] psql and libpq fixes

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: [HACKERS] psql and libpq fixes
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] psql and libpq fixes  (Michael Meskes <meskes@postgreSQL.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, Brian E Gallew wrote:

> > But on third thought, probably the thing that would be really useful
> > for "expected errors" is if there is a backslash-command that turns on
> > or off the kill-on-error behavior.  (The command line switch would
> > merely set the initial state of this flag.)  This way, a script could
> > use the option in an intelligent fashion:

FYI, the commands are
\set EXIT_ON_ERROR
and
\unset EXIT_ON_ERROR
It's a normal psql variable, but incidentally the syntax seems kind of
easy to remember.

> Urhm, wouldn't a better idea be to have something like Ingres' "ON
> ERROR" and "ON WARNING" settings?  In Ingres esqlc, you can create
> functions and then tell Ingres to execute them in the even of a
> warning or error.  Also, you can say "ON ERROR CONTINUE" and errors
> will then be returned to the application as a status, but otherwise
> ignored.

That's very nice and all, but psql doesn't work that way. I'm not sure how
other dbs organize their front-end internally, but that sort of scheme
would really take psql places we might not want it to go, and for which it
hasn't been designed -- namely, to be a programming language.