Re: Detecting SQL_ASCII databases

От Kris Jurka
Тема Re: Detecting SQL_ASCII databases
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004, Oliver Jowett wrote:

> 8.0 backends report the server_encoding value of the database via
> ParameterStatus during startup. I'd like to use this to detect SQL_ASCII
> databases and complain loudly.

That would certainly help people who have setup their databases
incorrectly, but it is actually legal to have a setup like this as long as
you only use seven bit ascii characters.  I'm not sure where I stand on
this.  There are probably plenty of databases that are working fine with
the current setup.  For example even using 8 bit chars in a SQL_ASCII
database, if all clients are unicode then the only problem you'll see is
the length check in something like varchar(100) failing.

Kris Jurka