Re: [GENERAL] Accounting/inventory systems

От Brett W. McCoy
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Accounting/inventory systems
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, freetips wrote:

> Can we develop difficult accounting/inventory system and use PostgreSQL  for
> server. We will use MsAccess for client.
> We have to choose between:
> MySQL PostgreSQL or another server .
> Does some company use PostgreSQL  for these purposes? My be there are some
> commercial realises of accounting/inventory programmes which use PostgreSQL ?
> Does somebody know some REALLY working accounting or inventory system on LAN
> (not via Internet)??? - where server is PostgreSQL .Because I have feeling that PostgreSQL
> is used only with regards to Internet.

I can tell you that Postgres isn't only used on the Internet.  I'm using
it in my office for a big image conversion tracking system.  We have some
7 million TIFF, which comprise about 150,000 'documents' that are being
converted over to PDF files for a new information retrieval system we are
developing (not under Postgres, alas).  The primary interface is PerlCGI
for running conversion batches and for QC of converted documents (it's
done through the intranet off of Apache).  I also have some utility
programs I wrote that are command-=line based, also based on Perl and
using Postgres, and our database administrator is using Access on her
desktop to maintain the database, run updates and deletes against the
data, and so on.  It's not a full commercial inventory system, but with a
few modifications it certainly could be used as one.

Brett W. McCoy
                                         http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy
Slang is language that takes off its coat, spits on its hands, and goes
to work.