Re: Brand New User (I hope)

От brew@theMode.com
Тема Re: Brand New User (I hope)
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Phil......

> I've never asked a user group for help before so I'm not sure how to go
> about this.......

You're doing fine.

> I've just purchased SuSE 9.1 Professional which uses the YaST package
> manager to install software and was wondering if anyone has successfully
> installed Postgresql 7.4.2-31 on a Pentium based machine. I installed
> all of the postgresql packages and simply ended up with a "server not
> found" message

First step is to see if the server is running.  I don't know about SuSE,
there is probably something in YaST to check what processes are running.
The common command line way to check in linux is

ps aux

which gives you a list of all running processes.  There should be a couple
there owned by postgres, probably, named postmaster or postgres.  If not
you have to figure out how to start them on startup.

A YaST user can probably help you better, but this should get you pointed
in the right direction.

brew

                  Strange Brew   (brew@theMode.com)
     Check out my Musician's Online Database Exchange (The MODE Pages)
                        http://www.TheMode.com