Re: How Do You Pronounce "PostgreSQL"?

От The Hermit Hacker
Тема Re: How Do You Pronounce "PostgreSQL"?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Joe Brenner wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:

> > >     Mee  too.  And I'm not sure if anybody pronounces PG the same
> > >     way.  Is it PeeGee or PiG (in which case we'd have the  wrong
> > >     animal in our logo).
> >
> > Actually, the one that gets me is those that refer to it as Postgres
> > ... postgres was a project out of Berkeley way back in the 80's, early
> > 90's ... hell, it was based on a PostQuel language ... this ain't
> > postgres, its only based on it :(
>
> Personally, I say P-G-Sequel or Post-Grease-S-Q-L.
>
> And I have to say that "postgresql" has one of the worst
> names of any software I've ever encountered.  I'm entirely
> in sympathy with the "suit" who suggested calling it "PG".
>
> I would go further and say that in the near future when some milestone
> is reached (say, the addition of outer joins?) it might be a good idea
> to mark the occasion with a name change of some sort.

I don't think so ... we changed the name 4+ years ago, and, quite frankly,
have worked for 4+ years at building an identity around that ... ppl know
what PostgreSQL is, and what it represents ... could you imagine someone
changing Apache, or Linux, or Oracle?  I really don't see what is so hard
about pronouncing Post-Gres-QL ... *shrug*