Re: [HACKERS] Most Advanced

От The Hermit Hacker
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Most Advanced
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Actually, I think you might be looking at this wrong ... figure that Corel
> > is putting resources into making WINE a viable "engine" to running
> > Micro$loth applications ... WINE is open source.
> >
> > Now, which is better/easier?  Re-code Wordperfect Office (one app) to run
> > natively, or improve an open source application so that Linux/Unix can run
> > any existing Micro$loth product?  Which is cheaper in the long run?
> >
> > If they were starting WordPerfect from scratch, okay ... but how many
> > hundreds of thousands of lines of Windoze specific code is in
> > WP-Office? :)
>
> I have never been very confident about emulation of any form.  Also, if
> Corel has Inprise and Corel Linux, you would think it would be worth
> making the port to a _real_ operating system.

I've gotten 4 Windoze users at work converted over to FreeBSD over the
past month or so, the latest one being as a result of VMWare ... now they
can run all their Windoze programs that they require without having to
dual-boot into Windoze when they need to ...

If the emulation is done well enough, the end result is a much broader set
of applications while still running a *good* operating system ... the blue
screen of death doesn't require rebooting a whole computer :)

Systems Administrator @ hub.org