Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

От The Hermit Hacker
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow  ("D'Arcy" "J.M." Cain <darcy@druid.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > OK, let's get the box size and weight, and I will see what global
> > > carriers can handle this.  Seems DHL may be a good choice, though they
> > > seem to only do fast service.  Let's see who has a door-to-door low
> > > cost/slow option that covers the globe.  Suggestions?
> >
> > The weight for the original box is low ~2lbs/1kg. We might want to put
> > it inside another box full of peanuts, but the weight would stay low;
> > say under 3kg. I'll help sponsor shipping in and out of Russia, and
> > I'll bet DHL goes where you want. FedEx seems to have less coverage in
> > some areas, but those may just be the ones I've run into like China.
>
> That's a good weight.  The big problem is getting it _out_ of these
> places.  Seems the shipments mostly have to be payed by the sender, so
> it requires the people who have the award to pay shipping.  I would like
> to see someone other than the sender pay, if possible, but if people
> want to host the cost for their leg of the trip, all the better.  Cost
> from USA to Krasnoyarsk for a 2 pound package is $80 via DHL.
>
> > I think perhaps some other legs of the trip could be sponsored by the
> > area reps? Perhaps we should have a period where folks can propose a
> > visit, and if it coincides with a local event like a club meeting so
> > much the better.
>
> OK, we should probably start taking visit requests.  Any major
> developers who want to host it for a while, speak up?  Certainly anyone
> on the developers page is welcome.  We already have Thomas, me, Vadim,
> Tatsuo, and Marc, in that order across the globe.  Or we can go Thomas,
> Tatsuo, Vadim, me, and Marc, though this would mean it had not crossed
> the USA.  In fact, we can each take a picture of it in our homes, and
> make a web page of it.  (I can scan in any photos for those without
> digital cameras.)  Now, that would be nifty.

Once we have a firmer idea of whom it is going to, planning might be
easier, as well as costs, since we could do it in "shorter hops"...ie. If
Peter Mount wanted it, then we would be able to do "Thomas, Bruce, Peter,
Vadim, Tatsuo, Me"...throw in Oleg there, and we can put him between Vadim
and Tatsuo...Throw Tom Lane in there, and that can go between ... ??

D'Arcy Cain, if he wants, can go between Tatsuo and Me
(Japen->Toronto->NS), etc...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org