Re: [HACKERS] Hot Backup Ability

От Michael Richards
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Hot Backup Ability
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, Duane Currie wrote:

> Anyway, version 6.5 apparently supports hot backups by using MVCC
> to give a view of a consistent version of the database during a
> pg_dump (http://postgresql.nextpath.com/doxlist.html  search for
'backup')
Hrm. Nothing pops out.
Just out of curiosity, I did a DUMP on the database while running a script
that ran a pile of updates. When I restored the database files, it was so
corrupted that I couldn't even run a select. vacuum just core dumped...
If I can just run pg_dump to back it up, how does this guarantee any sort
of referential integrity? Also during such a dump, it seems that things
block while waiting for a lock. This also happens during a pg_vacuum. I
thought that mvcc was supposed to stop this...
-Michael