Re: Constraint stuff (fwd)

От Stephan Szabo
Тема Re: Constraint stuff (fwd)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I need to learn how to type headers I think... :(

Stephan Szabo
sszabo@bigpanda.com

On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, Jan Wieck wrote:

> > More generally, the PL functions need to be able to deal with
> > recomputing saved plans after an ALTER of a table referenced by the
> > function.  I haven't really thought about how to do that ... but it
> > seems like Stephan's idea of a table showing referencers and referencees
> > might help detect the cases where plans have to be flushed.
>
>     More  more  generally,  you  cannot  tell  which  objects are
>     referenced from saved plans inside of a PL function. Might be
>     possible  for  PL/pgSQL,  where  we  could  use a specialized
>     invocation of the PL compiler to determine.  But  there's  no
>     way to do it for PL/Tcl or the like.

>     We  might  end  up with some general catalog sequence, bumped
>     any time a schema change happens, and require  each  function
>     to  forget  about  all  of  it's  saved  plans  for  the next
>     transaction. Ugly, but the only way I see to be consistent.

As a dumb question to help me understand better...
What exactly is saved in the plans and how are the plan saved for a
PL/Tcl function that does something where it generates a query that
you say don't know the table of until run time?