RE: Make COPY format extendable: Extract COPY TO format implementations

От Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)
Тема RE: Make COPY format extendable: Extract COPY TO format implementations
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Dear Sutou-san, Junwang,

Sorry for the delay reply.

> Can we discuss how to proceed this improvement?
>
> There are 2 approaches for it:
>
> 1. Do the followings concurrently:
>    a. Implementing small changes that got a consensus and
>       merge them step-by-step
>       (e.g. We got a consensus that we need to extract the
>       current format related routines.)
>    b. Discuss design
>
>    (v1-v3 patches use this approach.)
>
> 2. Implement one (large) complete patch set with design
>    discussion and merge it
>
>    (v4- patches use this approach.)
>
> Which approach is preferred? (Or should we choose another
> approach?)
>
> I thought that 1. is preferred because it will reduce review
> cost. So I chose 1.

I'm ok to use approach 1, but could you please divide a large patch? E.g.,

0001. defines an infrastructure for copy-API
0002. adjusts current codes to use APIs
0003. adds a test module in src/test/modules or contrib.

This approach helps reviewers to see patches deeper. Separated patches can be
combined when they are close to committable.

Best Regards,
Hayato Kuroda
FUJITSU LIMITED