RE: Synchronizing slots from primary to standby

От Zhijie Hou (Fujitsu)
Тема RE: Synchronizing slots from primary to standby
Дата
Re: Synchronizing slots from primary to standby  ("Drouvot, Bertrand" <bertranddrouvot.pg@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Monday, November 27, 2023 8:05 PM Drouvot, Bertrand <bertranddrouvot.pg@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

> On 11/6/23 2:30 AM, Zhijie Hou (Fujitsu) wrote:
> > On Friday, November 3, 2023 7:32 PM Amit Kapila
> <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>
> >>
> >> I don't see a corresponding change in repl_gram.y. I think the following part
> of
> >> the code needs to be changed:
> >> /* CREATE_REPLICATION_SLOT slot [TEMPORARY] LOGICAL plugin [options]
> */
> >> create_slot_options
> >>

> > I think after 0266e98, we started to use the new syntax(see the
> > generic_option_list rule) and we can avoid changing the repl_gram.y when
> adding
> > new options. The new failover can be detected when parsing the generic
> option
> > list(in parseCreateReplSlotOptions).
>
> Did not look in details but it looks like there is more to do here as
> this is failing (with v39_2):
>
> "
> postgres@primary: psql replication=database
> psql (17devel)
> Type "help" for help.
>
> postgres=# CREATE_REPLICATION_SLOT test_logical20 LOGICAL pgoutput
> FAILOVER;
> ERROR:  syntax error

I think the command you executed is of old syntax style, which was kept for
compatibility with older releases. And I think we can avoid supporting new
option for the old syntax as described in the original thread[1] of commit
0266e98. So, the "syntax error" is as expected IIUC.

The new style command is like:
CREATE_REPLICATION_SLOT test_logical20 LOGICAL pgoutput (FAILOVER);

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA%2BTgmobAczXDRO_Gr2euo_TxgzaH1JxbNxvFx%3DHYvBinefNH8Q%40mail.gmail.com

Best Regards,
Hou zj