RE: subscription/015_stream sometimes breaks

От Zhijie Hou (Fujitsu)
Тема RE: subscription/015_stream sometimes breaks
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Hi,

After an off-list discussion with Amit, we figured out the reason.
From the crash log, I can see the apply worker crashed when accessing the
worker->proc, so I think it's because the work->proc has been released.

   577:     /* Now terminate the worker ... */
>  578:     kill(worker->proc->pid, signo);
   579:
   580:     /* ... and wait for it to die. */

Normally, this should not happen because we take a lock on LogicalRepWorkerLock
when shutting all the parallel workers[1] which can prevent concurrent worker
to free the worker info. But in logicalrep_worker_stop_internal(), when
stopping parallel worker #1, we will release the lock shortly. and at this
timing it's possible that another parallel worker #2 which reported an ERROR
will shutdown by itself and free the worker->proc. So when we try to stop that
parallel worker #2 in next round, we didn't realize it has been closed,
thus accessing invalid memory(worker->proc).

[1]--
        LWLockAcquire(LogicalRepWorkerLock, LW_SHARED);

        workers = logicalrep_workers_find(MyLogicalRepWorker->subid, true);
        foreach(lc, workers)
        {
            LogicalRepWorker *w = (LogicalRepWorker *) lfirst(lc);

**            if (isParallelApplyWorker(w))
                logicalrep_worker_stop_internal(w, SIGTERM);
        }
--

The bug happens after commit 2a8b40e where isParallelApplyWorker() start to use
the worker->type to check but we forgot to reset the worker type at worker exit

Previously, the isParallelApplyWorker() used the worker->leader_pid which will
be reset when the worker exits, so the "if (isParallelApplyWorker(w))" won't pass
in this case and we don't try to stop the worker #2.

To fix it I think we need to reset the worker type at exit as well.
Attach the patch which does the same. I am also testing it locally
to see if there are other issues here.

Best Regards,
Hou Zhijie

Вложения