Re: starting the databaseserver

От Gareth Kirwan
Тема Re: starting the databaseserver
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
This is more, to my mind, a linux question.

But all the same:

su -
# su to root

su - postgres
# once root you can su to postgres without password prompt - and hence (
hopefully ) avoid your problem

then you can run the program - hopefully.

Gareth

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org]On Behalf Of Wolfgang Meiners
Sent: 03 July 2002 22:16
To: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject: [ADMIN] starting the databaseserver

Hi there,
i have a realy silly question: I installed postgressql (v 7.2) from suse
linux
8.0 and then i wanted to try the first steps with it.

As i understood, i shoud login as user postgres an then start the server by
some commands, wich are described in the documents.

It seems, the user postgres (group daemons) has been added by the
installation-procedure -at least not by me. Nevertheless, when i try to
login
to this user, it fails because i do not have a password! So i can not take
the very fist step!

So my question simply is: How do I login to the user postgres?

Please excuse my bad english. It is not my native language.
Thank you for any information
Wolfgang