Re: Exclude logging certain connections?

От Paul Förster
Тема Re: Exclude logging certain connections?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi Adrian,

> Nothing from what I see:
>
> From here:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/config-setting.html#id-1.6.6.4.5
>
> env PGOPTIONS="-c log_connections=off" psql -d test -U aklaver
>
> psql: error: could not connect to server: FATAL:  permission denied to set parameter "log_connections"
>
> First problem is you need to be superuser. Alright so be superuser:
>
> date
> Sun Mar 15 09:24:20 PDT 2020
>
> aklaver@maura:~> env PGOPTIONS="-c log_connections=off" psql -d test -U postgres
>
> psql (12.1)
> Type "help" for help.
>
> test=# \x
> Expanded display is on.
> test=# select * from pg_settings where name = 'log_connections';
> -[ RECORD 1 ]---+------------------------------------
> name            | log_connections
> setting         | off
> unit            |
> category        | Reporting and Logging / What to Log
> short_desc      | Logs each successful connection.
> extra_desc      |
> context         | superuser-backend
> vartype         | bool
> source          | client
> min_val         |
> max_val         |
> enumvals        |
> boot_val        | off
> reset_val       | off
> sourcefile      |
> sourceline      |
> pending_restart | f
>

> The connection is still recorded:
>
> [unknown]-[unknown]-2020-03-15 09:24:23.460 PDT-0LOG:  connection received: host=[local]
> [unknown]-postgres-2020-03-15 09:24:23.460 PDT-0LOG:  connection authorized: user=postgres database=test
application_name=psql

> To me it looks like log_connections is all or none.

that's what I suspected. This is also what I found out so far. This is ugly because unwanted monitoring connections
likethose of pgwatch2 keep spamming the logfiles this way. It would be great if there was an option to specify a list
ofusers whose connections would not be logged, even with logging connect/disconnect enabled.

Something like this:

log_exclude_user_connect = 'pgwatch2,myself,...'

in postgresql.conf

Thanks very much.

Cheers,
Paul