Locale vs LIKE

От Stephen Denne
Тема Locale vs LIKE
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Given the improvements in 8.3 listed in the release notes:
- Improve efficiency of LIKE/ILIKE, especially for multi-byte character sets like UTF-8 (Andrew, Itagaki Takahiro)

Does this still hold:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/locale.html

"The drawback of using locales other than C or POSIX in PostgreSQL is its performance impact. It slows character
handlingand prevents ordinary indexes from being used by LIKE. For this reason use locales only if you actually need
them."

i.e. Do I still have to either initdb --locale=C or explicitly use text_pattern_ops?

(Queries include predicates of the form [indexed text expression] like "ABC%")

Stephen Denne

Disclaimer:
At the Datamail Group we value team commitment, respect, achievement, customer focus, and courage. This email with any
attachmentsis confidential and may be subject to legal privilege.  If it is not intended for you please advise by reply
immediately,destroy it and do not copy, disclose or use it in any way.

__________________________________________________________________ This email has been scanned by the DMZGlobal
BusinessQuality              Electronic Messaging Suite.
Please see http://www.dmzglobal.com/services/bqem.htm for details.