Re: error-tolerant COPY FROM

От Sean Davis
Тема Re: error-tolerant COPY FROM
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I use a trigger on tables with foreign key references to either ignore
the insert row or insert an appropriate matching row in the referenced
table, if it does not exist.  In the function, I just raise a notice
that I am doing this.  This is a simple example:
create or replace function tgf_insert_gene_id() returns trigger as $$
declare
     gene_id_chk integer;
begin
     select into gene_id_chk gene_id from g_main where
gene_id=NEW.gene_id;
     if (NOT FOUND) THEN
           BEGIN
              INSERT into g_main (gene_id,name) values
(NEW.gene_id,'INSERTED FOR FOREIGN KEY CHECK');
                RAISE NOTICE 'Inserting a gene ID to meet foreign key
requirements';
           END;
     END IF;
     return NEW;
end;$$ language plpgsql;

Just make a trigger for the tables of interest (I have several tables
that reference gene_id in g_main) so they can all use the same trigger.

This function simply looks up the proposed key to the foreign key table
(gene_id) in the foreign key table.  If it is (NOT FOUND) then it
inserts the key into the foreign table (g_main) the gene_id about to be
inserted and then raises a notice (which goes into the log if you have
logging set up to log notices).  Then, the function returns and,
because we did the insert, foreign key checks work fine.  You could
just as easily choose to NOT insert a record that doesn't meet foreign
key checks, or even do an insert into a separate table instead that
contains all of the rows that don't match a foreign key.

Hope this helps....
Sean