Clearing locks

От Edwin New
Тема Clearing locks
Дата
Список pgsql-general

I am using postgreSQL version 8 on Solaris 9.

I have encountered a situation where a java process is dying but leaving locks active.  When I restart the process, it gets a new connection, but can't proceed as the previous lock is still active.

How can I, as DBA, clear a lock / roll back an incomplete transaction without access to the connection that created the lock?  All I've been able to do is a complete stop/start of the database, but that is obviously sub-optimal.

Thanks,

Edwin New
Software Developer

Toll - Integrated Business Systems

43 - 63 Princes Highway,
Doveton,  VIC.  3175

Ph:     03 8710 0858
Fax:    03 9793 3970
Mobile: 0417 341 074
Email:  edwin_new@toll.com.au

"This message is written in FORTRAN until you look at it."