pgsql: Add hint about not qualifying UPDATE...SET target with relation

От Tom Lane
Тема pgsql: Add hint about not qualifying UPDATE...SET target with relation
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
Add hint about not qualifying UPDATE...SET target with relation name.

Target columns in UPDATE ... SET must not be qualified with the target
table; we disallow this because it'd create ambiguity about which name
is the column name in case of field-qualified names.  However, newbies
have been seen to expect that they could qualify a target name just
like other names.  The error message when they do is confusing:
"column "foo" of relation "foo" does not exist".  To improve matters,
issue a HINT if the invalid name is qualified and matches the
relation's alias.

James Coleman (editorialized a bit by me)

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/CAAaqYe8S2Qa060UV-YF5GoSd5PkEhLV94x-fEi3=TOtpaXCV+w@mail.gmail.com

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/58447e31890ace0d552a4bf693744bef3a5335e6

Modified Files
src/backend/parser/analyze.c                  | 3 +++
src/test/regress/expected/insert_conflict.out | 6 ++++++
src/test/regress/expected/update.out          | 6 ++++++
src/test/regress/sql/insert_conflict.sql      | 3 +++
src/test/regress/sql/update.sql               | 3 +++
5 files changed, 21 insertions(+)