Re: session username in default psql prompt?

От Kori Lane
Тема Re: session username in default psql prompt?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Here’s a patch for this.

- Kori

On May 27, 2023, at 8:52 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:

I don't recall if this has come up before.

I'm sometimes mildly annoyed when I get on a new system and find the username missing in my psql prompt. Or if a customer shows me a screen and I have to ask "which user is this". If we're dealing with several roles it can get confusing. My usual .psqlrc has

   \set PROMPT1 '%n@%~%R%x%# '

So my suggestion is that we prepend '%n@' to the default psql PROMPT1 (and maybe PROMPT2).

I realize it's not exactly earth-shattering, but I think it's a bit more user-friendly.

(Would be a good beginner project, the code change would be tiny but there are lots of docs / examples that we might want to change if we did it.)

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan