Re: New competition from Microsoft?

От Yorick de Wid
Тема Re: New competition from Microsoft?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Microsoft is only trying to raise some awareness for their new ASP.NET 5 multi-platform, which works closely with
MSSQL.I don't believe they are honestly interested in the *NIX user. They extend their userbase in the hope to get them
ontoAzure.

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-hackers-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-hackers-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Joshua D. Drake
Sent: maandag 7 maart 2016 23:32
To: Josh berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>; pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] New competition from Microsoft?

On 03/07/2016 01:43 PM, Josh berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> http://blogs.microsoft.com/?p=67248
>
> Once SQL Server is available on Linux, we're going to see more people
> using it as an alternative to PostgreSQL.  Especially since they're
> picking up a lot of our better features, like R support.

Yes but:

1. MSSQL is not going to magically run well on Linux. It was never designed to run on a *NIX platform and it long left
theparts that would
(Sybase) in the dust.

2. This is actually good for us. It validates our primary deployment platform. Why run a closed source MSSQL when you
canget Open Source PostgreSQL on the same platform major platform?

3. Competition is good when we have it, our community steps up.

--
Command Prompt, Inc.                  http://the.postgres.company/                        +1-503-667-4564 PostgreSQL
Centeredfull stack support, consulting and development.